Thursday, October 12, 2006

What Briant has been up to...

10/3/06

On monday, I got to fly to Timbuktu. To be honest, it wasn’t that interesting but it is fun to say I’ve been there now. Next time I go I am going to get a stamp in my passport. We flew the South African ambassador and some executives from a sugar company up there so they could do some sightseeing. I got to talk with the ambassador for a little bit but I didn’t realize who he was. I felt like an idiot when I asked if he was Malian! Oh well! He was very nice. His three kids all go to the American school and Harmony will have them soon in her art classes.

I have been flying quite a bit lately. The company that bought SAS about a year ago is short on pilots and they asked me if we would do some flying for them. I am happy to do so because it means I will get more hours. I am scheduled to fly everyday this week and will probably spend Thursday night in Conakry, Guinea. It has been a good learning experience to fly with some different captains because each one flies a little differently.

I have enjoyed getting to know the Malians who work for SAS at the airport. They clean the planes, refuel, and help out with all kinds of stuff. There are probably about eight to ten guys. A couple of them speak a little English and some speak French but they all speak Bambara. They are very happy if you show an interest in learning Bambara. I asked a couple of them to teach me some and now I know how to say a few things. I know I will never be fluent but it is fun to know a little bit. One guy wants to work on his English so I told him I would help him if he helps me with French and Bambara. Sounds like a good deal for me, two for one! I’m sure it is funny to watch us interact because I speak very broken French to them and they speak very broken English back and then I have to ask them to repeat the Bambara words a million times. (I’ve started carrying a folded up piece of paper in my shirt pocket so I can write stuff down, if I don’t I would never remember how to say stuff). Hanging out with the workers is one of my favorite things to do here. They are all very friendly. I think they like being friends with an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment