Thursday, January 25, 2007

Bougouni

Bougouni is about 2hr and 45 min South of Bamako. This is where Mom and Dad Walker go every other week.

The pictures are of some of the wives and children of Dad's Bible school students. Mom and I got to "help" in the "kitchen" last week.

I have to say that I felt completely inadequate in a Malian "kitchen". I'm not sure how much help I was! This lady is at her stove/oven. Each family has one in front of their home-which is usually a 2 room cinder block structure with few or no windows.

The lady in yellow is stirring her "toe soup". It is basically a paste made out of millet. Mom got to help sift kilos of millet flour. I got to cut lots of green onions without a cutting board and crush onions with a mortar and pestle. (That means I crushed them in a wooden bowl, using a large, wide stick).

Everyday these women get wood for their fires. Most of their day consists of gathering and making food.












This is Rebekah and her little girl in their house.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Hi Guys,
    I love your blog! Thanks for keeping it updated. Miss you, john

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:20 PM

    McKenzies!

    Hey guys! A big hello from T-town. Do you miss us? We certainly miss you. Thanks for keeping the blog updated so we can catch a glimpse of life in Bamako.

    All our love,
    Jason, Jen, Eli and Caleb Brown

    ReplyDelete